D - Geography 12 - Today we will spend the entire class watching National Geographic's Inside Hurricane Katrina. The tragedy of Hurricane Katrina is very personal to me. Although I was not directly impacted by the hurricane (I did not lose loved ones; nor did I lose property in the storm) my wife and I were married on August 5, 2005 just north of New Orleans. We spent time talking with the people of New Orleans and making friends there. We traveled the Gulf Shores road (Highway 90) through Pass Christian, Bay St. Louis, Long Beach, and Gulfport. Three weeks later after a clear warning from the director of the National Hurricane Center, Dr. Max Mayfield, Katrina made landfall along the border between Louisiana and Mississippi. Now it wasn't as if politicians didn't know about the potential disaster that could befall New Orleans if a major hurricane was to strike. Dr. Ivor van Heerden ran a simulation (Hurricane Pam) the previous year at Louisiana State University. His test results were provided to FEMA, state, and local officials. People knew. People in power knew. Heck, I even knew and I'm just a geography teacher living on the opposite end of the continent. The DVD asks some hard questions and I hope to begin a lively discussion with you about them.

CBC News In Depth: Hurricane KatrinaCNN Special: Hurricane Katrina
NOAA: Hurricane Katrina
BBC: Hurricane Katrina
NOLA: Hurricane Katrina
NOVA Science Now: Hurricane Katrina
C - Introduction to Law 9/10 - Today we are back in the library working on our crime scene reconstruction - investigation case file activity. This assignment is due on Monday of next week (December 15th, 2008) and if you are near completion then you may also work on your forensic science web page project. Do not waste time on either of these assignments as they form a large component of your grade in the class.
A - Law 12 - Today you have the entire class to work on your civil law case study project. Please refer to the notes you took yesterday about the test for negligence:
- duty of care & the neighbour principle;
- standard of care & foreseeability along with the reasonable person;
- causation;
- real loss or injury; and
- res ipsa loquitur
B- Earth and Space Science 11 - Today you'll finish the sunlight and seasons lab we started yesterday. You'll also need to work on and finish the two Earth Science 11 Atmosphere Worksheets that you'll get today and "For Review" questions 10, 11, & 12 on page 445. I will take all of this at the end of tomorrow's class. While you're working on this I'll have the BBC DVD "The Weather" playing ("cold" episode).
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.