Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thursday's schedule is B-A-Lunch-D-C.

B- Earth and Space Science 11 - Today we will continue our look at weathering by focusing on chemical weathering and the development of soil. You have three questions for homework (8 & 9 "For Review" and 4 "For Discussion" on page 243 of your Earth Science and the Environment text). You can find resources to help you at the University of Kentucky Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences Web page
McGill University Geog 203 weathering notes
The Physical Environment textbook on line
Exploring Earth textbook on line
World Wildlife Federation soil types
Soil net Web site

A - Law 12 - Today is Post Secondary Liaison Day and as such you'll be going to presentations from various colleges and universities in BC (along with RMC & the Canadian Military). Tomorrow in Law we'll begin the second half of our criminal law unit by looking at arrests, arrest procedures, and your rights upon arrest. Enjoy the presentations today.

D - Geography 12 - Today....Oh today we start weather, the best topic ever! We will look at extremes of weather to get an idea of how cool (or hot) weather really is. Before I go on further about how excited I am that we are at my favourite topic, I'd like to have my say about academic honesty.

I know that some of you have older brothers or sisters that have taken Geography before. I know that you may have friends and teammates that may have taken Geography before. I also know that I am a hard marker and that Geography is not an easy class. I also know that some of you have merely copied your friend/brother/teammate/sister's work and handed it in as if you completed it yourself. Some of you have taken tests that were intended for previous year's students to study for Provincial Exams and have appropriated them for your own use. This is academic dishonesty and hurts no one but you. Apparently for some, learning is unimportant. From Dr. Eli Newberger I found the following passage which I think is crucial for you to seriously consider:

"The desire to secure the best grades has become a paramount force that drives their education. With so much emphasis placed on outcomes in our society something is lost along the way. The learning process becomes overshadowed by the final outcome. . . . Grades, rather than education, have become the major focus of many students entering universities today. Their goals become simple: get in, survive, get the grade, and get out".

You know how passionate about Geography I am; I am a self-professed Geography Geek and am very proud of that fact! I have tried my best to help you see the world in a different manner - through the eyes of a geographer. I do this because I truly believe that those who see with a holistic - systems view will see the reality of the world we face and understand it better. If we can understand the world then we can change our ways so that we can live in a better place . All I ever wanted for you is to learn. If all you care about is a grade then so be it, you'll continue to find short cuts to improve your grade. If this is you then you don't get me; nor do you get what Geography is all about.

Having said that I'm so excited to be starting weather! Hail, lightning, tornadoes, and hurricanes are four on "the list" get ready, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

C - Introduction to Law 9/10 - Today we'll share your own theories of why crime happens. We'll see if there are any similarities amongst the different theories we made and try to understand just what that may mean. We'll then look in the course text (handout) and discuss the biological AND sociological reasons for criminal behaviour. Tomorrow we'll look at Crime Victimization and look for trends in victimization (age, gender, and social status). Bring your coloured pencils tomorrow as you will be drawing what you think the typical victim of an assault looks like.
Only five days left until Geography Awareness Week!




No comments: